- Kate Winslet was attached for a long time to star in the lead role. Jessica Biel then replaced her with Gerard Butler as Laurent. In the fall of 2011, Elizabeth Olsen was announced as a replacement in the lead role.
- Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson were set to star as Therese Raquin and Laurent LeClaire respectively in a 1995 adaptation directed by David Leveaux but the project never happened.
- Glenn Close was originally cast as Madame Raquin but dropped out and was replaced by Jessica Lange.
- This film reunites two Harry Potter cast members: Shirley Henderson, who played Moaning Myrtle and Tom Felton, who played Draco Malfoy.
- Elizabeth Olsen and Oscar Isaac have both appeared in Marvel comics properties. Olsen is Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch in the Marvel Cinematic Universe while Isaac is En Sabah Nurr / Apocalypse in X-Men: Apocalypse (2016).
- Laurent: Tell me to go to hell.
Thérèse Raquin: Where do you think you already are?
On May 9, 2012, principal photography began in Belgrade, Serbia and Budapest, Hungary.
It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. The film received a regional release on February 21, 2014.